Sunday, August 7, 2011

Summer Vacation 2011 Part 2

On Monday, July 11, I got up around 5 AM and headed to the airport. My sister Hannah met me there and we caught a flight to San Antonio, Texas. We arrived in Texas and our Aunt Amanda and cousin Ella (13) picked us up. Here they are:

When they picked us up, we headed to lunch at a place called Freddy's. Its an old diner type restaurant with burgers, hot dogs, and homemade frozen custard. I think they only have them in Texas and Oklahoma. I had a steakburger and shoestring fries, so yummy! After lunch, we made the 2 hour drive to Austin, Texas where Aunt Amanda lives.

We got settled in at Aunt Amanda and Uncle David's house and rested for a bit. Aunt Amanda had some phone calls to make and some paperwork to complete. Remember, this is only 2 days after Grandma died and Aunt Amanda and Aunt Emilie were her two main caregivers. So, Aunt Amanda was handling a lot of "after life business." We ran some errands and then just hung out at the house. Aunt Emilie stopped by on her way home from work and had dinner with us. Hannah and I went to bed early because it was a long day of traveling.

Tuesday, July 12, we went to Barton Springs to swim and lay out. It was a really neat place. The "pool" is actually man-made but it is filled by some natural springs and has fish and water plants in it. The water is freezing because of the springs, so I didn't get in. Ella and her friend Claire swam while Hannah, Amanda, and I sat in the sun. We hung out there for a couple of hours and then went to lunch at Torchy's Tacos. I had a burrito and it was pretty good. We also got dessert and had these things called Little Nookies. They are deep-fried chocolate chip cookies covered in powdered sugar. I'm sure they were a bunch of calories, but I only had 1 and it was amazing. It tasted like cookie dough with a crunchy outside and melted chocolate chips, so good! After lunch, we went back to Amanda's house to shower and get all of our stuff together.

When everyone was done getting ready, Hannah and I loaded our suitcases in the car and Aunt Amanda took us to Lighthouse Hospice, where Grandma was when she died. Hannah and I were able to see Grandma's room and the rest of the facility. We sat outside in the courtyard for a little while. It was very pretty and peaceful. While we were there, we saw a hummingbird flying around us. Aunt Amanda said it was a sign that Grandma was with us because she loved hummingbirds. It made us all happy and sad at the same time. I'm glad we were able to see where Grandma was in her last moments.

After the hospice, we all went to a local coffee shop and got iced coffees and waited for Aunt Emilie to get off work. Emilie met us at the coffee shop and Hannah and I went with her to Georgetown, Texas, where she and Grandma lived together. This is Aunt Amanda, Aunt Emilie, and their brothers, Uncle John and Uncle George, with Grandma a couple years ago at Aunt Amanda's house.


Next up, our visit to Georgetown and Dallas, Texas!

No comments:

Post a Comment